Mental Health Awareness

Mental Health Awareness

Linette Godina, Reporter

Mental health awareness can increase chances for early intervention and faster improvement. It is vital that schools educate and understand how they can help better students’ mental health. 

Some things you can do to spread the word is educate yourself and others on mental health, encourage kind language, share on social media, and seek help or aid someone else look for professional guidance.

Eastmont Highschooler Ashley Cervantes, converses that, “Students can raise awareness on mental health by talking about it with others, or finding other ways to spread the word like creating a club, promoting the school to make it part of education.” 

It is not a straight line to improve your mental health, there are several techniques that help, such as practicing gratitude, taking care of your physical health and hygiene, practicing relaxation methods, and doing your favorite hobbies that can help outlet your emotions and thoughts.

A student in Eastmont Highschool says, “During the school year, I try to spend time relaxing or de-stressing. I try spending time with friends and family, and participating in hobbies that I enjoy.” 

Comprehending mental health comes with acknowledging mental disorders that affect a person’s mood and thoughts in their everyday life. Such as depression, anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and schizophrenia. These disorders are diagnosed by mental health professionals and should not be confused with maintaining mental health.

It is influential that students understand the impact of raising mental health awareness. 1 in 5 Americans experience a mental illness in their adulthood, that is 43.8 million adults a year. Increasing awareness in school can reduce this score since over half of chronic mental illnesses start at the young age of 14.