PSAT Testing Information

Maddie Chase, Reporter

It’s everybody’s favorite time of year, testing. The PSAT (Pre-SAT) and SAT test sign-ups are happening now for Eastmont High School students. The tests will take place this coming spring and are available for Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. 

Many students disregard the importance of taking the PSATs. But there are many benefits to this pre-test such as getting a good score which could help you achieve a National Merit Scholarship in addition, whatever your score is will be an indicator of how well you would do on the SAT, which counts toward college acceptances, and overall a great opportunity to practice. 

Students take the PSAT as sophomores before taking it again as juniors. Although sophomores aren’t eligible for National Merit, taking the PSAT early can increase your shot at getting a high PSAT score—and a coveted National Merit scholarship—later on,” as stated in PrepScholar. 

The PSAT scoring is very similar to that of the SAT. The score ranges from 320 to 1520. The sections you will be tested on are English, writing, math with a calculator, and math without a calculator. Note that there is a time limit to each of these sections. Although there is a time limit it is better to answer the questions than to leave them blank. 

If you’re wondering what your score should be on the PSAT, don’t worry too much about the final result as it is just the pre-sat, but you should still treat this test like any other. The average PSAT score for 11th graders is 1010 and 920 for 10th graders. But in the end, does your score really affect anything? 

Also stated in Prep Scholar, “The truth is that your PSAT score is far less important than your SAT (or ACT) score is. This is mainly because the PSAT isn’t used for college admissions. Moreover, your PSAT score has no effect on your GPA, so if you really don’t want to take the test, you don’t actually need to (unless it’s mandatory at your school).”

In the end, the PSAT is definitely a good practice test that students are encouraged to take, but it is not a requirement. Again there are a great many benefits to taking this test and I would encourage everyone to take it.