Are fewer people going to the library?

Do students go to the Eastmont High School’s library anymore?

Travis Sydenstricker

Books at the EHS Library

Travis Sydenstricker, Reporter

The library recently decreased its open hours from 6:45 AM to 3:15 Pm to a much shorter 7:20 AM to 2:45 PM so there isn’t enough time to read or study in the library which begs the questions.

Have our current EHS students been in the library? Do they plan on going to the library? Do they read in their free time?

Sophomore Brooke Palmer said she checks out books for fun, is an avid reader, and is a book club member. 

Are Juniors also the same way?

One Junior stated that she only went to the library for a class and has no desire to go again. She also said that she doesn’t read in her free time.  

What about seniors? 

Senior Jared Burton said that he has checked out books from the library and will probably go there again because he thinks a library is a nice place. Jared also said that he reads in his free time.

Are all students like this or are these students outliers? 

The best way to find out is to ask library staff.  Librarian Mrs. Skaar was asked if she noticed fewer people coming to the library.

She responded yes, but there isn’t a real way to keep track of the exact number of people coming into the library. 

There has been a decrease in people coming to the library because of COVID, but it seems to be building back to pre-COVID numbers, she added.

When asked about the decrease in hours she said, “The decrease in hours is due to the district cutting the hours. Students would still use that time if it were available for them.” 

It seems that the library is still an essential place for EHS students.