The Student News Site of Eastmont High School

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

Your Ad Here
Getting to know Alex Reyna
Elizabeth Reyna, Reporter • April 12, 2024
Getting to know Cayden Suarez
Eduardo Fuentes, Reporter • April 12, 2024

Is the Math SBAC unfair to current sophomores?

Math classes are all subjective to each student. Each student learns at their own pace, but consequently, there is a lower probability of most students in the class of 2026 passing the SBAC.

The SBAC test goes by thirds; ⅓ algebra 1, ⅓ geometry, and ⅓ algebra 2. But what does this mean for students still in classes that are lower than Algebra 2? Unfortunately, they will have 0 opportunities to fully give their all to this test as there is no chance to learn the knowledge. Yes, there are other options on your graduation pathway; but, most of these are harder tests and harder classes that are collegiate level. The only probable solution to this is by giving the test a later year.

Why do we give a test to sophomores when they’re not even fully through high school? If the high school math requirement ENDS at Algebra 2 is there even logic in testing sophomores on knowledge they have no chance of learning? 

James Pippin, a current EHS sophomore says “So, for the reasons I don’t like the SBAC is because how are you supposed to even remember every single thing from math and English?” He also said “I am so unprepared for the math portion because I haven’t even gotten to geometry yet. A lot of us are in integrated math.” But the harsh feeling from most students is “I feel like I’ve forgotten everything I’ve learned, and the teachers can’t even help.” 

We also asked, how is this going to make your parents react?

“My mom would be so upset if I failed.”

This test and the statistics of how many will fail is setting a bad situation for students at home. People can’t know what goes on behind closed doors, but it is safe to say that this is going to cause some problems.