The Student News Site of Eastmont High School

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

Your Ad Here
Prom 2024
Grace Laubach, Reporter • May 9, 2024
Miracle Movie Review
Cameron Kimmerly, Reporter • May 6, 2024

The benefits of Track and Field

Freshman+AJ+Saenz+%28left%29+and+Junior+Braden+Jones+%28right%29+competing+in+the+hurdles.+
Katie Schneider
Freshman AJ Saenz (left) and Junior Braden Jones (right) competing in the hurdles.

What is track, well track is an after-school sport that is very inclusive and doesn’t cut anyone. It’s a great way to make new friends and get out of your comfort zone. There is something for everyone on track.

There are many events for example sprints, jumping, throwing, and distance. There are the 100, 200, 400, and relays for sprints like the 4×1 4×2 4×4. Sprinters in track and field usually run the 100-meter and the 200-meter. Some of the faster athletes do the 4×1 or even the 4×2.  

For jumping there is a long jump, triple jump, high jump, and pole vault. Some athletes only do jumping but some do sprints and jumping. When a junior was asked about the jumping events she said “ Jumping events are my favorite part about Track and Field jumping in the sand is fun”. The Eastmont Pole vaulting group has broken many records for the school this year. Paige Overton broke the girl’s pole vault record ’. And for the boy’s group Kayden Andre- Van Lith has broken the boy’s school record.

For throwing there is shot put, javelin, and shot put. Shot put is when an athlete holds a heavy ball and attempts to throw it as far as possible. Javline is when a person throws a spear as far as possible. And lastly, discus is when a person aims to throw the dis as far as possible.

In distance, there is the 800, 1500. Distance is very well-liked by the people who are a part of the distance group. All of the people in the group love running and have a good time doing it. 

There are also hurdle events like 100, 110, 400. Recently and school record was just broken for hurdles. 

The track is one of the most inclusive sports out there, one member of the team had this to say, “ I am a jumper and sprinter. I run the 100 and 200 and do long and triple jumps. I like track and I’m always looking forward to it when the season ends”.

Another person said, “When I was going through an adamant time I would just focus on track and I would feel a little better knowing that I have people on track”. 

When asked if he would ever join track James Pippen said “Yes I would do track even though I have never run competitively in my life I think it could be a fun opportunity”.  

Overall track and field is a very inclusive sport and there is something for everyone.

Senior Ethan Moore competing in the 1600. (Katie Schneider )