The Student News Site of Eastmont High School

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

Your Ad Here
Prom 2024
Grace Laubach, Reporter • May 9, 2024
Miracle Movie Review
Cameron Kimmerly, Reporter • May 6, 2024

Miracle Movie Review

Picture via Flickr
Picture via Flickr

This Movie has been out for a long time but very well might be the most inspiring movie you will ever watch.  This movie Miracle On Ice came out in 2004. The movie is about the real 1980 hockey Olympics held in Lake Placid where Team USA hockey team made the biggest Cinderella story in the history of sports. 

The movie is based off of a true story where this coach of St. Cloud State hockey team. He was hired to coach team USA’s hockey team. He held tryouts for the best college players in the world and tried to make the team. There were 68 players tried out for the team and after the first day Herb had it down to 22. After the tryout had 11 months to get the roster to 20. They played 61 games together before going to the Olympics. A week before they were going to Lake Placid.

During one of the games they were playing some of the guys on the bench were talking about the girls in the stands. Herb overheard them and was in disbelief after the game they lost brutally. Herb didn’t let them get off the ice. They started doing suicides on the ice after the game. All Herb said for hours was “Again”. They skated for so long the Zamboni driver wanted to go home. Herb said, “tell him to give me the keys I’ll lock up.” By this time the lights were off and they were still skating. Then one of the players, Mike Eruzione, yelled his name at Herb. Herb said “Who do you play for?” Eruzione yelled back “The United States of America”. Herb then let the team get off the Ice. 

The team took the message from coach Herb and they started to play good hockey. They played the Soviet Union in the Semi Finals to go to the championship. Team USA was bound to lose. Coach Herb before the game was feeling inspired and had so much faith in his team. He gave the world’s greatest sports speech known around the world as the Miracle On Ice Speech. After the speech the team was fired up but the Soviets struck first making it 1-0 with a Krutov goal. Then Team USA fired back making it 1-1 with a Buzz Schneider goal. The Soviets weren’t fazed as they buried another one making it 2-1 with a Makarov goal. Team USA was down but not out as they found a way to score another making it 2-2 with a Mark Johnson goal. The coach of the soviets made the tough decision to take out the player known as the best goalie in the world.

Ending the first period it was a tie game. Going into the second period Team USA was stunned that they were in the game. There was only one goal in the second period being the Soviets with a Maltsev goal making it 3-2 Soviets. After the second, Team USA was still in the game. Going into the third period people thought the USA was out of this game. Then Mark Johnson putting the team on his back buried another goal tying the game at 3. Late in the game it was a battle but Mike Eruzonie scored the most important goal scored in hockey history. The fans went insane, Team USA’s bench cleared to celebrate. Team USA takes the lead 4-3 late in the third. The soviet still fought hard but the could not come back. Team USA pulled the biggest upset in sports history.

Team USA went on to win the goal medal beating Finland in the gold medal game. 1980 Team USA was the best hockey team in the world. This movie inspired a lot of people over the years being an old movie I personally still watch it on occasions. This movie is very good and I highly recommend.