Football will Battle for the Bridge on Thursday

Scratching Post Staff, Reporter

Eastmont will play for sole possession of the Big 9 league title on Thursday instead of Friday night. This schedule change would allow for the potential play-in game to occur on Saturday. “The reason is for the change is the for the Big 9 Conference to follow WIAA rules and to give the qualifying school the opportunity to be properly evaluated by the postseason selection committee,” stated Eastmont Athletic Director Russ Waterman.

Essentially, the what-ifs have taken the field. Both games, Sunnyside versus Moses Lake and Eastmont versus Wenatchee were scheduled for Friday night but had to be moved. If Sunnyside beats Moses Lake, and Wenatchee wins against EHS, the Big 9 will have a three-way tie leading to a mini-playoff game. In this scenario, a playoff would occur in Moses Lake on Saturday, November 3. Wenatchee and Sunnyside would play two eight-minute long halves, and the winner would advance to a mini-game against Eastmont in the same format.

The Wildcats have their fate in their own hands. “If Wenatchee wins and Sunnyside loses, Wenatchee goes,” explained Waterman. Outside of a three-way tie, a league champion will be crowned on Thursday night.

This year, the Big 9 league can only send its top seed into the State Tournament Playoffs. In previous seasons, this league has been allowed two playoff births, but a restructuring of school districts and overall student counts on the West side of the mountains has reduced the opportunities in the Columbia Basin.

Eastmont’s original game was scheduled for 7:00 pm on Friday at Wenatchee’s Apple Bowl but will now kick-off at 7:oopm on Thursday at the same stadium.