The Student News Site of Eastmont High School

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

The Scratching Post

Your Ad Here
Getting to know Alex Reyna
Elizabeth Reyna, Reporter • April 12, 2024
Getting to know Cayden Suarez
Eduardo Fuentes, Reporter • April 12, 2024

The Transition from Trimester to Semester and its effects

The change from trimester to semester at Eastmont High School was approved by the Eastmont School Board starting this school year 2023-2024. In recent years this school has been using the trimester system.

Trimesters split the school year into three sections that last roughly around 12 weeks each. Semesters split the school year in half making each semester last about 18 weeks. 

School Counselor Scott Eaton commented on the effects this change might have on students and teachers. 

Eaton said, “I don’t think there is a huge effect on students but there are a couple important differences.  The first thing is that students can focus on fewer classes throughout the year.  Since every other school in the area is in semesters it makes transitioning to and from other schools much much easier.  Semester classes make it much easier for students to track their graduation requirements.”

For the 2023-2024 school year, Semester 1 ends January 26th and Semester 2 ends June 14th. Conferences for students and parents to check on grades occur about half way through each semester. 

Adding his perspective as an elective teacher is Pottery teacher Matthew Kimmel.

Kimmel said, “Semesters are so much better in every aspect.  Studio art classes need time to learn, to explore, to finish with quality.  A semester gives students time to make better quality works of art. Further, we have  more time to learn a wider variety of techniques and ideas.  Seeing students dive deep into the arts without the frantic rush of a trimester means the learning environment is better, too.  When stress lowers creativity flourishes.”