The Nerds of EHS

Adalmis Espinoza, Reporter

The outcasts of school are thought of as gross, weird, and uninteresting. At Eastmont, that is only half true because as someone who is a nerd, they can confirm that every single nerd is different in their own way.

What is a nerd? “Emotionally closed off people who get along with other emotionally closed off people that are obsessed or good at something” explained high school Junior, Cassi Osborne. 

When speaking about the nerds being obsessed or good at something, you could think about the obvious and identify nerds as people who know all about Harry Potter, the smartest kid in class or the kids who play Magic in the library during lunch. “The term nerd isn’t really to like one specific thing like; say he’s a nerd for being stupid, he’s a nerd for Magic, she’s a nerd for… Zelda.” Osborne explains. “Different types of nerds include… gamers… or just shut-ins.”

Students in Smash Club select characters for a battle.

Bryce Schichi explains furthermore that nerds can be from very skilled at a subject or skilled at strategic card games. “Give me the sauce!” yelled one nerd that was playing Magic at Smash Club. “We’re also very loud and annoying” explains Schichi once again while most of the people at Smash Club were screaming and laughing hysterically.

“We’re like a herd… Nerd herd,” stated Schichi. “When nerds are together… It’s like a pride of lions.” He says again, “Except there is no main lion. There’s no Mufasa- he’s dead” said sophomore Cecilia Zook before laughing.

Schichi further defines the identity of this culture that nerds are weak on their own, but they’re at their strongest when they’re together. “We don’t do well alone… We’re like wolves; we don’t do well alone. But when we’re with our own kind- Oh dear gosh, you’re going to need help.” 

Regardless of which nerd you are, just know that there is a herd waiting to accept you. Popularity, social norms, and etiquette need not define you. Find your crowd and dive in.